Agitar Introduces AgitarOne, The First Comprehensive, Integrated, Unit Testing Solution for Java
New Flagship Product Extends Agitar’s Award-Winning software agitation™ Technology to Automate Generation of JUnit Tests; Reduces the ‘Drag’ from Java Legacy Code and Speeds New Development; Integrates the Best Features of Commercial and Open-Source Solutions
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., November 15, 2006 – Agitar Software, the leader in enterprise developer testing, today announced a new flagship product – AgitarOne – that brings unprecedented power and simplicity to Java unit testing. Unit testing is the practice in which software developers create tests for their code as they write it, helping to ensure that the code works correctly and making it easier to change the code with confidence.
What’s new about AgitarOne:
- Introduces the most powerful support for automated JUnit test generation available, powered by software agitation - Agitar’s award-winning innovation for exhaustive unit testing
- Helps developers automate the creation of regression test suites for legacy Java code bases
- New functionality for interactive unit testing helps novices test code like experts
- Server-based deployment gives developers meaningful unit tests in minutes
- Features out-of-the-box support for continuous integration and testing using CruiseControl, the most widely-used open-source software for this purpose
"AgitarOne answers requests from hundreds of customers for an easier way to start unit testing or to extend what they’re already doing using hand-written tests. It has been hard for some organizations to start unit testing and to stick with it because of the manual effort, and because there was no easy way to add JUnit tests to legacy code to start to change it safely," said Jerry Rudisin, CEO and President, Agitar. "AgitarOne removes the obstacles and excuses. It empowers development teams to start creating meaningful tests in minutes and to slash the work required to create a "safety net" of unit tests around legacy applications, making them easier to enhance. AgitarOne delivers effective and exhaustive unit testing without exhausted developers."
With AgitarOne, companies can see dramatic changes in how easy it is to get started with unit testing and how quickly their development teams can realize the benefits: more predictable software development cycles, and reduction in the cost of quality assurance and maintenance through early elimination of bugs.
"In the Data Center Management group at Cisco, we estimate that maintaining products can add up to 40% to our engineering estimates. That’s why we believe in building quality in, through unit testing," said Ian Wallis, Director of Data Center Management Software, Cisco Systems, Inc. "Agitar’s unit testing solutions and expertise have helped our globally distributed development teams adopt agile practices with great success. With AgitarOne, we have the fastest, most effective way to get our current product thoroughly tested, and ensure our code is robust, flexible, and of the highest quality."
AgitarOne’s most striking new feature is the automated generation of JUnit tests. AgitarOne enables developers to unit test much more thoroughly than they would be able to with purely hand-written tests. Developers also use AgitarOne to generate a change-detection "safety net" for legacy applications, to ensure that any change to the code does not accidentally change the code’s intended behavior.
"I learn surprising facts about my code when I look at the JUnit tests that AgitarOne generates, and when I agitate my code. AgitarOne's test generation provides developers a quick way to get a useful set of unit tests that will detect unintended changes to the code," said Kent Beck, co-author of JUnit, the most widely used unit testing framework for Java, and the father of eXtreme Programming. "By integrating these features with the Management Dashboard, the whole team--including its sponsors, customers, and managers--can readily see the current state of unit testing during development."
"MindTree sets itself apart by combining extreme agility in our development processes with unmatched quality. We’re able to do this because we are consistently leveraging software best practices like unit testing," said Kamran Ozair, Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, IT Services, at MindTree Consulting. "Agitar’s unique technology makes unit testing a fast, highly effective process for Java developers. And we’re particularly excited by AgitarOne’s powerful JUnit generation capabilities. Most of our clients have large business-critical Java applications, ranging from greenfield applications to large legacy code bases – and with AgitarOne, we can generate a thorough safety net of JUnit tests, which helps us build, extend, and enhance Java code with even greater reliability and speed than before. We see a significant positive impact on developer testing productivity and effectiveness through the use of Agitator and AgitarOne."
AgitarOne is a server-based software product with capabilities including:
- Agitar’s breakthrough technology, software agitation, with the full functionality offered in Agitator®. Agitation supports interactive exploratory testing on Java code to help developers find unexpected behavior.
- The industry’s most powerful technology for automated generation of JUnit tests, providing thorough coverage on most code. Developers can interactively tune and improve the JUnit test generation by writing helper methods in Java.
- Flexible and extensible code-rule enforcement that helps eliminate error-prone coding patterns.
- Out-of-the-box support for continuous integrated testing, based on the popular open-source CruiseControl, so every development team member can know in minutes when a coding change introduces possible bugs.
- A comprehensive project Dashboard that gives continuous visibility into how a project is doing against unit-level quality targets.
- Server-based deployment that makes deployment faster and that simplifies Dashboard rollups and sharing of assets across organizations.
- Distributed JUnit test generation and Agitation, allowing users to exploit additional CPU power to do more aggressive and frequent testing in less elapsed time.
"Fujitsu SSL strives to improve quality in every phase of our projects, from system planning and development to operation and maintenance," said Mr. Shigeo Jisai, General Manager of the New Technology Promotion Department, Fujitsu Social Science Laboratory, Ltd. "We incorporated Agitator into our development process as a way to speed up the QA process for SOA components. AgitarOne combines the functionality of the existing Agitator software with new features into a server-based solution, enabling easier implementation and development on a company-wide level. Increasing the return on our investment in unit tests requires being able to flow test code into regression tests. AgitarOne’s new JUnit Generation maintains tests assets created during development as standard JUnit tests, increasing the return on our investment in unit tests."
In a companion release today, Agitar Software Announces 'No Java Class Left Behind' Program - AgitarOne™ Now Free For Educational Institutions, Agitar announced that the full AgitarOne product is available free of charge to accredited educational institutions for education and research.
AgitarOne, version 4.0, is available immediately, and supports the following platforms: Windows XP or 2000; Linux with kernel 2.4.22 or later It also fully supports J2EE and Java extensions JDBC, JNDI and Java Servlet Technology. AgitarOne is compatible with any Java IDE (integrated development environment) based on Eclipse 3.0, 3.1, or 3.2.
About Agitar Technologies, Inc.
Using unprecedented JUnit Generation and software agitation techniques, and Java functional testing coverage capabilities, Agitar Technologies enables the enterprise to save time and money, releasing Java applications faster with fewer bugs. The “AgitarOne” product family enables software teams to create, use, and manage the extensive set of unit tests needed to be truly agile. Customers have cut legacy maintenance efforts by 50%, released new applications 30% faster with fewer bugs, and cut the cost of finding and fixing post-release bugs by 90%. Agitar Technologies is a privately-held company headquartered in Cranston, RI. For more information visit www.agitar.com.
Agitar, AgitarOne, Agitator, and software agitation are trademarks of Agitar Technologies, Inc. Other trademarks, service marks, trade names, and company logos referenced are the property of their respective owners.